Sunday, April 24, 2005
Dear Ed Hardin
Dear Ed Hardin of the Greensboro News & Record,

First off let me say that I'm a huge Thomas Davis fan and actually worked in the UGA SID office when I was at school there in the late 1990s. I'm glad he was drafted by my hometown (well, closest to me) Panthers and I enjoyed seeing a picture of him on the front page of the sports section because, even now, I get a bit nostalgic when I see that bright red uniform with the big Georgia 'G' on the helmet.

As I read your article this morning at home at my parents' kitchen table, I pretty much read right through it. There was nothing to complain or argue about, nor was there any major nuggets of information that I was blown-away to read. It's the day after the first day of the draft ... what is there to say, anyway?

But when I got to the last line of your article, I had to stop and do a doubletake. American football is the most unpredictable sport in the world? Really?

Now, I don't know every sport in the world. I can't explain to you how Jai Alai works or how cricketers end up with hundreds of runs in an at-bat. But what I do know is this ... American football is not even close to the most unpredictable sport in the world. You can say anything might happen, but, really, how often can you not see it coming?

How is the Patriots beating the Rams in the Super Bowl more unpredictable than Greece, who had never won a match at a major international men's soccer tournament, winning the European Championships last summer (the second or third most prestigious competition in the world)? How is the Panthers going to the Super Bowl more unpredictable than the Red Sox finally ending the curse against the Yankees last year? I, as a Yankees fan and a current New Yorker, thought that was pretty unpredictable if you ask me.

What I'm saying is that there's a whole world of exciting sporting events out there, such as last night's Chivas USA vs. LA Galaxy MLS derby, the first of its kind in the US, that will lead you to a greater level of excitement and understanding of the culture you live in. And, you won't have to stop watching a lot of these sports for five minutes at a time every time the tv companies want to sell you more beer.

I wish all the best for Thomas Davis and the Panthers ... I'll be rooting them on from a pub in New York while keeping track of all the other unpredictable results from the world of sports.

Sincerely,
Maradawga

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home