Sunday, July 24, 2005
Nocigental dwarfism and other things I don't understand ...
Thoughts from a weekend full of soccer.

  • Chivas USA is on to something. I don't know what's changed in the back (aside from the removal of Suarez and the maturity of 'el Guzano') but they seem to be a doing a much better job than earlier in the season.

    With the addition of Paco Palencia and 'el Loquito' in August, they might be able to reach for a playoff spot. What's interesting is that the weekend of their biggest win they couldn't gain any traction as both RSL and Colorado won.

    I still think Chivas will win a playoff spot this year. I think Westerhof is the second best coach in MLS this season (behind Dom Kinnear of the Red Headed Earthquakes).

  • Here I was, being the good soldier, trying to watch the D.C. United - L.A. Galaxy game on Saturday. Granted, I'd been out late the night before and I was pretty exhausted but I was going to fight through it and stay awake for the entire match despite being full and the game being atrociously boring.

    With ten minutes left, I resigned myself to a nil-nil draw (good result for D.C., tough for the Galaxy) and left for work. Once I got to work, what happened but I found out that Freddy finally decided to be Freddy and won the game for United. I thought Hartman would have had the ball if not for the deflection but sometimes a superstar needs a little luck to get jumpstarted.

  • About Freddy: I see Freddy as the Barry Sanders of the #10 position. Barry was a great running back but he was the kind of guy who would get you 2 yards on one carry, -3 on the next and then break one for 80 yards. I think that's where Freddy's at. He doesn't have the solid skills and decision making enough of the time to start him over Gómez but Christian is not going to do what Freddy did yesterday. Just can't.

    So here's my thing with Freddy. He's a #10 ... he's not a forward and he's not a Bones-type winger. Just isn't. It sucks that Untied has an all-star in Gómez but I think the team is better off long term if Nowak can figure out a way to get Freddy on the field in the middle of the park. Yeah, good luck with that.

  • On the ESPN2 broadcast, and later the Columbus Crew radio broadcast, it was mentioned that United all but had a deal in place to build an SSS inside the district limits. Now, I consider myself pretty up on this stuff but has anyone heard anything concrete on this?

  • Where the heck has RSL been hiding all year!?! Three goals against FCD? I think it's that field (and boy did it look horrible with the gridiron lines on it). That's a team that needs a new stadium (or at least a real field). Good for Cleetus that he's off the shnide and scoring goals. Good that Jason didn't score ... I need some more time to build his 'Countdown to 100' graphics.

    And what's up with missing the sitter, Jamie Watson? Tarheels finish better than that. Would Michael Jordan haved missed an open dunk? Oh, well, I guess everyone is entitled to one. Make sure it was your last. I'm not posting Jamie's Journal if you do it again.

  • Columbus is on a nice little undefeated streak since the Polish Rifle took over. Looks like he'll probably get the deal at the end of the year as is Crew tradition.

    Just me thinking out loud here but it'd be nice if the Crew just cleaned house and started over. Though they did have 15,000 there last night I'm still shocked they didn't bother to start selling All-Star tickets until three or four weeks ago. And there's nothing much to leverage there so one of the big thoughts was to offer two tickets to the OSU-Texas college football game to a random person who had bought tickets. They might have sold out if they did that.

  • Is there any more depressing team to watch (or, in the case of last night, listen to) than Kansas City? Just depressing.

  • Knox Cameron should be required to participate in every match since he gives us so many great titles for articles (Knox holds down fort, Knox answers opportunity, etc.).

  • San Jose is in first place! Good for the little team that couldn't stay in the Bay Area. I'm pretty sure they're gone at the end of the year, too, but I'd really love for them to stay ... mainly because that's the only place that isn't 1,000 degrees in July in the U.S. and I'd like to keep them for that.

  • The MetroStars. Dunno what more you can say.

  • We're going to pretend that Chicago game didn't happen. Everyone's allowed a do-over, right? Can't wait to see the game on Wednesday.
  • 5 Comments:

    Blogger incendiarymind said...

    I'm still pretending yesterday night didn't actually happen. I'm afraid if I do, the entire universe will get sucked into a negative world where the last are first and the first are last and then the world will implode. :)

    11:41 PM  
    Blogger maradawga said...

    Dogs and cats, living together ... mass hysteria!

    10:31 AM  
    Blogger D said...

    Dawg -- The SSS in DC is still a pipe dream, but it was something that was promised even last year, and mentioned by the Hizzoner, Tony Williams, after the MLS Cup celebration at RFK. Plans exist for it to exist in the Anacostia area. Not sure if it will happen, but it's part of the reason Payne's ownership friends (real estate people) are interested in buying the team.

    1:52 PM  
    Blogger Eric PZ said...

    I'm guessing you've never spent a summer in San Jose. ;)

    Has Sampson been fired yet?

    6:31 PM  
    Blogger maradawga said...

    I can't believe they fired Sigi, not that he's a great coach, when the team was in first place to replace them with Sampson.

    I thought Neo was going to have to come after him on Saturday with those sunglasses.

    11:21 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home