Friday, September 16, 2005
A question of loyalties ...
I'm a diehard MLS fan ... moreso than I probably should be but at least it means I can Tivo the 8am Saturday morning Prem match and watch it later without feeling guilty.

That said, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I make it a point to purchase products from companies that sponsor MLS. For my feet I'll bypass Nike sneaks (though they do support US Soccer) for adidas footwear, I make an extra effort to shop at Radioshack (even though they never have what I need) and I encourage all my homeowning friends to shop at The Home Depot. I draw the line at Sierra Mist because, well, I'm from Georgia and it's not soda, it's Coke. Or Diet Coke in my case.

That said, here's my problem:

The red and black of the Georgia Bulldogs has flowed through my blood since I was accepted to school there (Mara ... dawga ... it's funny now that you know where I went to school, innit?). And Gatorade, despite being a huge sponsor of MLS, also racks up a few more $$ for the University of Florida every time someone buys a refreshing orange or lime colored beverage.

So, I'm torn. Do I buy Gatorade, support MLS but also support Florida or stick with Powerade which has done the job just perfectly for me since I was in school but doesn't help MLS.

I like MLS, but I don't know if I can help UF.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kali said...

I'd stick with water if I were you.

Hey, if you're from Georgia, maybe you know where Cleeeetus is?

1:50 PM  
Blogger maradawga said...

The draw of Stone Mountain is strong. Just ask Josh Wolff who still has a 404 area code.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fish said...

As a true Dawg fan, you must avoid the ade of the Gator at all costs...

5:06 PM  
Blogger maradawga said...

I think you're right, Mr. Fish.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Eric PZ said...

Isn't aquafina still and mls sponsor? if not, pepsi is a sponsor....drink Mt. Dew and feel good. :)

"Hi, my name is PZ and I'm a Dewaholic"

5:52 PM  
Blogger Mike H said...

Stick with water or Powerade. You can always divert your money to other MLS sponsors. No need to hurt one just because you also happen to love the other.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home